Purpose: A bit of system to the english verbs, with a cookbook. Strongly opinionated. Well, because
- There are 4 ( 2^2 ) basic tenses
- To each, you add the possibility of being “perfect” (total 2^3)
- Another possibility to be continuous (total 2^4)
- One more possibility to be passive. (2^5, right).
- Positive/negative anyone?
- (someone could add infinitive as a separate verb tense, you could count that as the 65th one)
In the result I have a poster with a hypercube of the tenses that I show to people when trying to explain something. Similarity of the position in space usually helps.